In a mass shooting in Monterey Park, California, 10 people were killed and 10 more were injured, while the alleged shooter is still at large.
On the same day as Lunar New Year celebrations in the city that drew thousands of members of the Asian American community, the shooting at a ballroom dancing class on Saturday night—the deadliest since the Uvalde school shooting last May—took place.
The injured were brought to hospitals and, according to Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department Capt. Andrew Meyer, their situations range from stable to serious. He claimed that 10 persons passed away at the scene in Monterey Park.
Around 10:30 p.m., Meyer said that when police got on the site, people were “pouring out of the location screaming.”
Officers allegedly followed suit and entered the ballroom while firefighters attended to the injured.
Meyer stated that the suspect “fled the scene and remains outstanding,” adding that authorities do not yet have the suspect’s description.
Captain Meyer revealed that authorities are looking into whether an incident in the nearby city of Alhambra is related, adding that it is too early to say whether the shooter knew someone at the ballroom or if the mass shooting was a hate crime.
Owner of the restaurant where victims sought refuge from the shooting, Seung Won Choi, told the LA Times that the shooter was said to have a machine gun and a large supply of ammo.
Videos that were shared on social media showed people being put into ambulances on stretchers.
Other images showed Monterey Park firefighters attending to bandaged and bloodied victims in a parking area.
According to CBS Los Angeles, authorities also confirmed there had been a “event” in Alhambra, and police were looking into it to determine whether it was related to the shooting that had taken place two miles away in Monterey Park.
According to police, nobody was wounded at the second scene.